School and Community History

ws_mm_valley_95.JPG

ws_MM_valley_92.JPG

The 1700ís to 1900ís

In 1745, a man named William Mack came to this region and settled the land in eastern Wythe County. With a combination of the early settlerís name and the composition of the land, the name Max Meadows was derived.

The roots of education are planted deeply in the soil of Max Meadows.† As early as 1794, the Anchor and Hope Academy was established in a log building, which also served as a church.† In the following years, one and two-room schools were scattered throughout various small communities in the Max Meadows area.† Little is known about the town in the early 1800ís.† During the 1890ís, Max Meadows was the center of land development with the construction of a hot blast furnace aiding in the development. In 1893, economic failure throughout the area caused a halt in the development.†

Little is known about the development of the schools in the Max Meadows area between 1890 and 1920, except that there were numerous small schools throughout Wythe County.†††

The 1950ís

By the 1950ís, schools such as Connerís Valley, Lick Mountain, Locust Hill, and Gunton Park were all closed, and their pupils were transported to Max Meadows Elementary School.†

Max Meadows Elementary School, a public school for grades K-7, is located in a small, rural community in the eastern end of Wythe County.† The original portion of the school was built in 1951. This school contained seven classrooms, a library, clinic, office, music room, and cafeteria. In 1957, two additions were connected to the original building to facilitate increasing enrollment.

The 1990ís

During the 1990ís the main building housed 15 classrooms, a gymnasium, cafeteria, library media center, speech therapy room, school nurseís office, main office for the secretary and principal, and two smaller offices.† To accommodate the enrollment during the 1990ís, five mobile units were added.†

The 2000ís

With the beginning of the 2002-03 school year, Max Meadows became a K-5 school. Wythe County added three new middle schools to the district, so our sixth and seventh grade students were transferred to the new Fort Chiswell Middle School. The 2004-05 school year also brought changes to our school with the addition of a pre-kindergarten classroom, making Max Meadows Elementary School a Pre-K through 5th grade school.

In May 2005, Max Meadows Elementary School began a remodeling and renovation project, and it was completed the fall of 2006.

ws_MMES_P1012083.JPG

New additions to Max Meadows Elementary School were a library media center, two kindergarten classrooms, a reading recovery classroom, and a conference room. The gym area was renovated to include a stage area which also houses the art and music room. Several classrooms were relocated. All remaining classrooms were remodeled, a computer lab was added, and the cafeteria was updated and remodeled. The old office complex was renovated to accommodate a teacher workroom area with a kitchen. A new office complex replaced part of the primary wing. The entire school was centrally airĖconditioned.

In 2007-2008, the school houses 14 regular classrooms, one resource education room, a math and speech combination room, two reading classrooms, stage, art and music combination room, gym, cafeteria, nurseís office and clinic combination, teacher workroom, conference room, and main school office complex.

Our Principals Through the Years

Mr. Ben Kelly

†††††††††† - 1972

Mr. Curt Campbell

1972-1989

history_Kidd_92-93.jpg

Mr. William Kidd

1989 -†1993

history_Sellers_93-94.jpg

Dr. Charlotte Sellers

1993 - 1995

Brewer_97-98.jpg

Mr. Doug Brewer

1995 - 1999

history_Stone_99-00.jpg

Mrs. Debbie Stone

1999 - 2000

history_quesenberry_2000-01.jpg

Mrs. Beverley Quesenberry

2000 - December 18, 2009

history_Frye.JPG

Mrs. Kimley R. Frye

†July 1, 2010 to Present